New Safe Food for Canadian Regulations came into force

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency’s new Safe Food for Canadian Regulations came into force on January 15, 2019. Since then, we have been busy vetting new member applications and fielding numerous inquiries on a range of related items, including: Do I require a DRC membership to comply with the new regulations?; Do I need to register as a non-resident importer (NRI)?; What is the difference between a DRC membership and a food licence and do I require both?

As various domestic harvests get underway, a timely reminder to those who were exempt under the previous Licensing and Arbitration Regulations for purchases made from within your province and then shipped out of province: you are now regulated under the new SFCR and require a DRC membership.

If you have similar questions, refer to the SFCR-dedicated area of the website where you will find detailed information, including self-assessments, available in French, Spanish, Chinese and Punjabi. If you are unable to find the information you need, please reach out to us.